DBT for Anger
Check out our awesome trivia challenge
Please verify you are not a robot!
DBT for Anger Course
Duration: 6 weeks, self-placed
We, humans, are social animals. For a minute, imagine a life without relationships. It’s hard, isn’t it? As social beings, we need to create bonds in our lives. Some bonds are short term while some are long-term bonds. Some are temporary, some last lifelong. Without relationships, our lives can be pretty boring. It can feel pretty lonely right? However, forming a relationship isn’t always a cakewalk. The beginnings are the toughest. While some social butterflies are relatively quick at making new bonds, it is a difficult task for many. In this article, we discuss how to start a relationship. We focus on forming and maintaining a strong and healthy bond for a meaningful life.
Why Do We Need Relationships in Life?
Relationships, as discussed are fulfilling. They provide several rewards. Mental, physical, and emotional. They act as a support system in times of crisis. Relationships help you sail through tough challenges in a better way. Moreover, a relationship can help you feel loved and valued.
Here are some reasons why relationships are important in our life
- They help us live longer: Studies point out the correlation between a healthy relationship and long life. This means that relationships add years to our lives. That is to say that a good supportive network of people helps in fighting stress.
- Relationships increase happiness: Sharing happy and sad times with others, makes people feel validated. In addition to this, Relationships make people feel like they belong somewhere.
- Relationships reduce loneliness: When people share a close bond with others, they know that they are not alone in tough times. Additionally, loved ones help us when we are sad or alone.
- Teamwork: Having the company of loved ones helps us finish a task faster. When we work with others, our productivity improves.
- Relationship reduces stress: Having a close bond with others reduces stress. This by itself reduces the risk of many illnesses.
- Helps you be a better person: Our loved ones help us work on our bad habits and become a better version of ourselves.
- Encourage positive habits: People who love us encourage healthy habits such as exercise or self-care.
- Social support: Relationships provide social support in times of need such as during a financial crisis. Even in our success, our loved ones enhance the taste of victory. In earlier times, people maintained close bonds for security reasons. Now, close relationships can provide safety and emotional security too.
How to Start a Relationship?
As social beings, we require strong and durable bonds. As discussed, relationships have many benefits. Here are some top five ways to start a relationship.
Be Clear in Communication
Clear communication is good for healthy bonds. Whether it be verbally, in writing, or over the phone. Building connections and trust requires being clear, genuine, and professional.
It is very important to listen in a relationship. A lot of people just hear what their partners have to tell. However, active listening makes the person feel valued and loved. Pay attention to what others are saying and give it some thought before you react. For example, when you approach someone, try asking follow-up questions. This helps the person know that you are showing interest in their talks.
When you commit, follow through on it. Always make an effort to adhere to requests or promises. You should treat people how you want to be treated. Respect is very important in any bond. People who respect each other, tend to stay longer with each other. Moreover, long-lasting bonds are built upon mutual respect. Nobody wants to be with people who do not respect others.
One way to start a relationship is by appreciation. Relationships become strong by showing others praise. Make time for everyone, regardless of their position. When you praise others, they feel noticed. It also helps to keep the spark alive in any relationship.
Don’t be afraid of asking for help. Be helpful and seek help. As humans, we live in a society where we all benefit from each other. Most people are helpful. Helping others is also a good gesture and it helps to start a relationship.
Take the First Step
If you wish to start a relationship with someone, speak up. If you find someone interesting, attempt to approach them. A lot of times, people don’t reach out because they are scared. They are afraid of failure. They fear rejection. However, you will never know until you try. Therefore, it is important to make the first move and speak up.
Draw Healthy Boundaries
If you want to start a relationship and maintain it, clear healthy boundaries. Be clear about what you expect from the relationship. If something makes you uncomfortable, state it. Be open about what is allowed and what is not in a relationship. You can decide the terms of the relationship after discussing it with the partner.
It is important to show emotions towards the person involved. Share your emotions and thoughts with your partner. Let them know that you are with them in tough times. Be open to any feelings that show up. Be available for your partner in stressful times. Moreover, connect with them when they are emotional.
Have a List of Topics Ready
If you wish to start a relationship, have a list of light-hearted topics ready for discussion.Additionally, be prepared about starting a conversation. Don’t get nervous while talking to a new person. Moreover, do not talk about an intense topic in your first meeting.
People are often afraid of starting a relationship because they are afraid. They lack self-esteem. In this case, they may end up giving up on relationships. They may feel that there is no point in starting one. Low confidence can push a person to the extremities and make them lonely. There are many ways to improve self-esteem if a person wants to start a new relationship. At Epsychonline, there are courses such as Low Self-esteem that can help you overcome low self-worth. These courses are curated by experts that help you work on your core issues. These courses are self-help and help you work on your issue at your own pace. There are many articles on relationships. Therefore, do check them out.