10 Warning Signs of Orthorexia in People
Written by: Harmandeep Kaur Grewal – MA (Psychology)
Last updated date : February 06, 2023
DBT for Anger
Check out our awesome trivia challenge
Please verify you are not a robot!
DBT for Anger Course
Duration: 6 weeks, self-placed
Additionally, your body gets deficient in nutrients that are essential for energy. So, you need to visit a doctor. Also, your doctor would diagnose you and suggest a mental health professional. You should not resist or deny your issues. Because self-awareness is foremost in getting treatment for the problem. How do you know if you have orthorexia? Accordingly, you study the signs of orthorexia.
10 Warning Signs of Orthorexia
- First of all, you are obsessed with the quality of food. You keep on checking the oil, spices, and vegetables in food. Moreover, many patients would like to know about the origin of food, how it was cultivated and the chemicals used. No doubt there should be fewer pesticides and insecticides in food items. But chemicals and heavy metals are present in the environment. So, it is impossible to avoid chemicals in food.
- Secondly, you have a rigid pattern of eating. Moreover, if you eat one kind of food item then you will get deficient in other nutrients. For instance, if you are not eating eggs or meat then you will not have the desired amount of protein in your diet.
- Next of all, if you are someone who avoids green vegetables because of chemicals then you will be deprived of vitamins and minerals. Moreover, if only specific items of food are available then what will you do? Will you starve? And say, ‘ I will only eat chemical-free, fresh food.’ So, this is not the attitude that you should have.
- Fourthly, when you break your cycle of routing then you are distressed. A friend of mine had orthorexia. She demands clean, chemical-free vegetables. Her husband would lie to her about the origin of food. Moreover, she would spend most of her time selecting and buying food items. consequently, her work life suffered. She used to get tired a lot due to deficiencies.
More Signs of Orthorexia
- Fifthly, you get anxious when you don’t get what you desire. You should not be rigid
- Furthermore, you worry that you will get the disease.
- Additionally, your uneasiness starts when you see unpleasant food.
- Moreover, you do not have anybody image issues.
- Also, lack of eating causes weight loss. Moreover, your weight loss is not intentional.
- You cannot function properly. When you spend all your time selecting food then you cannot perform other tasks. For instance, you spend six hours a day selecting vegetables to eat. So, you are left with no time to work. Consequently, you become dependent on others.
- Your rigid life will prevent forming any social relationships. Your friends will run away from you and they will consider you as weird.
- Also, your self-worth will keep on reducing.
Causes of Orthorexia
- One common cause is low self-esteem if you want to lower your weight. Moreover, if you are obsessed with reducing weight then you would avoid any kind of carbohydrate. For instance, you will eat fat, but not roti, bread, or cookies.
- Furthermore, you fear that you will get a disease. So, you keep checking the ingredients of food items. For instance, you buy a jam. But, it is not made from organic products so you do not consume it.
- Moreover, your obsession with a rigid kind of food causes weight loss and health problems. You may become anemic. Moreover, you will not have the energy to work or even go out.
- Additionally, people have allergies to different food items. I had a known person who developed an allergy to dairy products. Also, she was a vegetarian so dairy products are the only source of protein for her. And, if she does not eat dairy then she will not get the required nutrients.
- Also, I have seen people, especially women who like to know the origin of food. She would like to do a lot of online research and read a lot about the bad effects of contaminated food. She would prefer organic food. Moreover, goes on diet when she does not know where the food comes from.
How do you know if you have orthorexia? You can check out 10 warning signs of orthorexia.
Firstly, similar to eating disorders, your therapist or doctor will try to diagnose orthorexia. When you visit the doctor about your eating habits the doctor will note down the symptoms. Moreover, if you have other health issues like deficiencies then the doctor will have to admit you to the hospital. Furthermore, any emotional problem will lead to visiting a psychologist. Also, you need to be aware that you have an issue. In contrast, if you keep on denying that a problem exists then you may not get treatment.
Additionally, your nutritionist may guide you to eat all healthy items. Moreover, you should consult a weight neutral nutritionist. She will help you guide through different foods and their benefit. Furthermore, you should be able to trust your doctor. If you think you know more than the professional then treatment will be difficult.
Also, diagnostic manual in psychology does not provide a list of symptoms that can help to find out whether you have the disease or not. Many psychologist say that fixation with healthy food is one of the signs of orthorexia. You will get anxious if you do not follow the rules. Moreover, your rules will get stricter with time.
Treatment of Orthorexia
Firstly, you need to be aware that one than one food item is healthy. For instance, you avoid all dairy products. But you can start with yogurt. Also, you will realize that your problem is getting.
Secondly, you can also take the help of exposure therapy. For instance, you eat food which you usually find unpleasant to eat. You hate cabbage but during therapy, you expose yourself to cabbage and relax.
Furthermore, you can learn relaxation methods that can help you to stay calm during a stressful situation. For instance, you are anxious about meat and dairy products. So you learn to stay calm in presence of these products. Therefore, you will stay calm in presence of other
Moreover, there are several courses provided on the website. You can check out the course titled,’Binge Eating Disorder Treatment.’