Irritable Bowel Disease Syndrome
Check out our awesome trivia challenge
Please verify you are not a robot!
Managing Irritable Bowel Syndrome Course
Duration: 6 weeks, self-placed
What are your thoughts about your body? Don’t worry if you did not smile when you say “Good!” We will help you teach some body image activities to feel confident in your own body. Body image art therapy activities are also beneficial for reducing the negative feelings related to one’s body.
Feeling contented in your own skin can be a difficult thing to do for some people. It can be hard to love your body . We are bound by body standards from the minute we are born. Women seek thin bodies, whereas men desire strong bodies. A slim body is attractive while being overweight is unhealthy and unattractive.
So, meeting society’s beauty standards such as a glass skin or perfect body shape can be exhausting yet not possible. Sadly people hesitate to share images without photoshop because they are bound by fake beauty standards and don’t love their own bodies. However with the help of body image activities you can feel confident in your own skin and learn to love your body.
Positive Body Image Activities
- Treat yourself well and pamper your body
- Affirmations for a positive body image such as “I am perfect the way I am”.
- Compliment yourself such as “I look beautiful today” or “I adore my freckles”.
- Wear clothes that make you feel confident and happy.
- Commit to your body such as “I will not compare my body to others”.
- List down things that your body does for you such as “I appreciate my strong, muscular legs because they help me go where I need to go”.
- Let go of all the unrealistic body expectations. Such as there is no such thing as glass skin. Real skin have veins, freckles, birthmarks, stretchmarks or moles. Embrace your real self .
- Make movements that makes your body happy. Such as nature walks, swimming, dancing or painting etc.
Body Image Art Therapy
Body image art therapy activities are beneficial in the exploration of unpleasant emotions because it allows the client to directly connect with their inner thoughts and feelings. This is helpful for persons who have undergone trauma and find it difficult to verbally express their pain.
Body image disorders are associated with a great deal of shame, as clients are frequently disgusted and ashamed by their perceived bodily imperfections. This might be hard to talk about in therapy since the client may hesitate for saying their thighs are too big or they don’t have a perfect jawline. The client may however be more easy to share their body related concerns in the form of arts and body image activities.
The following are the major goals of art therapy
Body image art therapy activities are an excellent way to practice mindfulness. Hence the body image art activities can help to focus your attention on single task at a time. People receiving art therapy report that they feel absorbed in the creative process of art making. Further Acceptance and nonjudgment are evident in art therapy, where people are free to express their own ideas and creativity without being judged. Therefore the clients have freedom to choose different colors, shapes and textures according to them.
Following are some body image art therapy activities that you can try at home to help heal your mind, body, and soul.