When you work in an office, you must have witnessed a conflict. Moreover, conflict at work is common these days. Also, you differ from other people so conflict arises. Furthermore, you need to understand that conflict is pretty normal where different people work together. For instance, in your office, there are men and women. Also, males are from different regions and ethnicities. Your friend may or may not be from the same background and so on. Also, conflict at work is common. Moreover, emotional triggers in the workplace are present.
Additionally, work causes stress for people. For instance, your friend is late for work. He gets into an argument with a female worker over some documents. Also, he finds it difficult to maintain relationships at work. Hence, he fights with people when under pressure. Also, you cannot avoid conflicts at work. Moreover, some conflicts can lead to growth at work.
Conflict at Work
- If you are emotional during a conflict then you need to calm down. For instance, your colleague said something hurtful and you got angry at him. You need to relax and then give any reactions. In contrast, if you get hyper at him then you will be blamed for the mess.
- Moreover, if you have a misunderstanding with someone then you can communicate with the person directly. FOr instance, your teammate is not happy with you and you do not understand why. You should try to approach her and ask about the problem. Moreover, some issues are trifles that can be resolved without any effort.
- Next, you should be open to change if you want peace at your work. Also, if you are resisting your change then you will be seen as a rigid person and people will not like you. For instance, you are asked to move your cabin to the south side of the building. But, you are adamant about not changing your office. It can lead to a problem with your colleagues and your superiors. You will be seen as an uncooperative employee.
- Finally, some issues are not under your control. So, do not bother about them. You can only modify things that are in your hands. For instance, policies formed by the higher management.
- Firstly, emotional triggers at work arise from your past dispute with a superior or colleague. For instance, your teammate had snitched on you and you were demoted. So, whenever you see your teammate you are in conflict or anger. You try to take revenge on the worker by bad-mouthing him or her.
- Secondly, if you were embarrassed in front of your teammates then you need not keep a grudge. Moreover, you work in the same place, and keeping negative emotions can harm you more than another person
Types of Conflict at Work
- First of all, the difference in the habits and behaviors of your colleagues can cause conflicts. Your department head wants something else while team members want another thing. So, it will cause conflict. For instance, you assign work to two workers for a project. One worker is an introvert while another is an extrovert. He will say I don’t want to sit in a crowd while she will say I want to mingle with people. Therefore, both will fight or argue.
- Secondly, conflict can occur if your teammate does not finish his task on time and you suffer because of it. For instance, he did not type the document which was required in the meeting. Therefore, you had to sit at night to type his work. You fought with him the next day. So, such conflicts are unavoidable. You can ask your manager for help to resolve the conflict. Also, it will be unfair for you to do the work alone while he squanders his time.
- Thirdly, your teammate likes to take a lot of breaks in between work. In contrast, you like to work uninterrupted. Consequently, you will show your displeasure at too many breaks which causes the work to be delayed for the next day. You can politely ask him or her to be cooperative with you. Also, if he does not listen then you can complain to the senior.
- Next of all, conflict can occur when your and your colleagues are at different levels as compared to your management. You want a fair work policy while management wants to squeeze out work at low pay. So, workers in your occupation will not be motivated to perform well.
Causes of Conflict at WorkIssues related to the ego of employees, emotions, overload of work, and so on can cause conflict at work. Moreover, emotional triggers in the workplace are often.
- One of the first causes that cause conflict is that you are not able to communicate with your colleague properly. For instance, you wanted to finish work on time. While your teammates took breaks. Also, you complained to your manager without talking to your teammates. Therefore, your teammates will not like you. They will argue or fight with you. Moreover, your management is unable to communicate properly with the workers. So, it can cause conflicts.
- Second of all, you may face leadership conflicts. Your subordinates may not like your authority or way of working. So, your workers will constantly argue or protest against any decision. For instance, you asked your juniors to work on Sunday to complete a project. But, your workers are not happy with your decision. Moreover, they will openly argue or protest creating conflict at work. Therefore, you need to make sure that your workers are in rapport with you.
- Thirdly, your ideas can clash with the ideas of your teammate. You want fieldwork and surveys. In contrast, your teammate does not want to go out in sun to do research.
How to Resolve Conflicts?
- The first way to deal with conflicts is through collaboration with your colleagues. You can be smart enough to back off when you see a conversation heating up. For instance, your teammate is angry at the way of work. He is loudly speaking, so you try to avoid talking to him in the same tone. It can prevent escalation.
- Secondly, your manager should be wise and experienced enough to deal with conflict with workers. If the manager is reinforcing conflicts then there would tense atmosphere around you.
- Also, if there is some conflict due to a past misunderstanding then some senior person can mediate and resolve it. You need to relax. Also, keep a positive outlook. Furthermore, you should drop cynicism.