Dangers of Anorexia and Minimising Them
Written by: Harmandeep Kaur Grewal – MA (Psychology)
Last updated date : January 09, 2023
Irritable Bowel Disease Syndrome
Check out our awesome trivia challenge
Please verify you are not a robot!
Managing Irritable Bowel Syndrome Course
Duration: 6 weeks, self-placed
Are you aware of the dangers of anorexia? Also, remember ways of minimising the dangers of anorexia. Are you suffering from an eating disorder where you fear gaining weight? Moreover, you are already underweight and you want to reduce more weight. When last time you checked the mirror, what did you tell yourself about your figure and body size? Were you worried that you are getting fat by each day? Furthermore, you should learn about the dangers of anorexia.
Additionally, you will need proper observation and care by a doctor. So, get help from you are unable to eat for fear of gaining weight. Moreover, the dangers of anorexia increase when you use laxatives or other methods. Also, if you have low blood sugar then you will be admitted to a hospital. So, you should avoid dangerous situations and eat regularly.
Dangers of Anorexia
You should know the dangers of anorexia. Moreover, you can learn ways of minimising the dangers of anorexia.
- One of the basic dangers of anorexia is anemia. When you don’t eat anything, you will become deficient in hemoglobin. Moreover, you will have no energy to carry out different tasks.
- Secondly, weight loss. Sometimes, weight loss is extreme. You have less weight and do not realise that you have a problem.
- In women, there could be an issue with irregular periods. Also, you can have the problem of not having babies.
- Moreover, there could be hormonal changes in your body. For instance, you can face a decrease in testosterone. Moreover, your hormonal changes can be temporary or permanent.
- Your blood sugar will remain low. And you will not have the energy to move around. You will faint easily and suffer from dizziness.
- Furthermore, being underweight or lacking in the nutrient can make you lose hair. You will witness hair fall or hair thinning.
- Also, if you consume less water then you could have dehydration. Moreover, due to a lack of eating you will get deficient in vitamins and minerals.
You should know the dangers of anorexia. Furthermore, anorexia could cause you long-term problems. Moreover, you can learn ways of minimising the dangers of anorexia.
- Firstly, anorexia is considered a mental health problem. You can have related ailments like depression, anxiety, and so on. Moreover, depression can be considered a long-term problem when not treated.
- Moreover, you can try to self-harm or have suicidal thoughts. You need to tell your doctor about your suicidal thoughts. Also, you need close observation.
- Next of all you could suffer from Osteoporosis. Also, your lack of nutrients will lead to a reduction in bone mass causing osteoporosis. Moreover, there could be fractures easily.
- Furthermore, you can have kidney problems, heart problems, and so on. For instance, if you do not drink adequate water then you will
- Also, you are at risk of seizures. So, you should have proper care under the observation of a doctor. Moreover, you should get needed nutrients at the hospital if you are unable to take them otherwise.
- Additionally, one-term anorexia can lead to infertility in the person. You will not be able to produce children if you don’t get treatment for anorexia.
Symptoms of Anorexia
You should know the dangers of anorexia. Furthermore, anorexia could cause you different symptoms. Moreover, you can learn ways of minimising the dangers of anorexia.
- One symptom is reduced weight. And it is visible by looking at a person. For instance, you can easily tell an anorexic from its body. And the person could have all bones and no flesh at all and still consider herself to be fat. Also, it is quite serious.
- Secondly, there is less hemoglobin present in the person. You can get an iron deficiency and cause anemia.
- Next of all, due to weight loss the person is tired all the time. And, fatigue is another issue that could result from anorexia.
- Also, you could have constipation. When you will not eat fibers or fat you will not have a bowel movement.
- Moreover, you can have sleeping problems. You will not be able to sleep on an empty stomach.
- There could be a hair loss problem. When your body will not get desired nutrients, your hair will fail enormously.
- Fainting spells are present when your level of blood pressure is low. Also, blood sugar should be more than 60 or 70.
- Dehydrationis another sign that you could show. So, drink healthy liquids like juices regularly.
You should know the dangers of anorexia. Furthermore, you can experience behavioural symptoms. Moreover, you can learn ways of minimising the dangers of anorexia.
- You are obsessed with not eating even after you faint. Moreover, your family is not able to talk you out of this situation. Consequently, you need to visit your doctor.
- Moreover, you want to exercise after weight loss. Also, after a small meal, you can feel heavy and want to burn calories. Hence, you need constant observation.
- There is the issue of binging and self-induced vomiting. So, you vomit when you eat more than you should have. Moreover, you put a finger in your throat to induce vomit.
- Also, your mind goes towards eating but you distract it by cooking for others.
- Furthermore, you don’t want to eat in public.
- Additional you experience isolation. You are not able to meet your friends as don’t have energy for it.
- Also, reduced interest in sex is there.
- You are frequently checking mirrors.
- Also, you complaint about being fat.
Causes of Anorexia
You should know the dangers of anorexia. Also, you need to understand causes of the disease. Moreover, you can learn ways of minimising the dangers of anorexia.
- First of all, anorexia could be caused by faulty genes. You should check if your family or relatives have had a similar problem in past.
- Secondly, your thoughts are responsible for the disease. You are thinking of getting fat. You have mental health problems. So, you need therapy. Go and get up, meet the therapist.
- Thirdly, your home environment is giving you stress and anxiety. Youdeveloped a problem when you are around your family. So, you should stay away from stress and tension. You should stay positive and happy. You can say to yourself, ‘ I am not fat.’
Treatment for Anorexia
You should know the dangers of anorexia. Additionally, treatment is important for you. Moreover, you can learn ways of minimising the dangers of anorexia.
- First of all, if your problem is mild then therapy could resolve your eating problems. You must visit your therapist on regular basis. Moreover, you can have a family member who accompanies you to the doctor. Also, therapy can help you change your thoughts and actions.
- Secondly, if you end up in an emergency ward then you will be kept in the hospital for extra observation.
- Thirdly, your doctor can give you medicine to reduce your anxiety. Also, tell yourself, ‘ I can learn to be happy.’
- Furthermore, you can learn to eat in gradual steps. You don’t need to force yourself. But, you need to slowly change your eating habits.
And check out the course, ‘Body Image Concerns‘ and ‘Binge Eating Disorder Treatment’ for more information.