Have you experienced a situation when a compliment made you cringe? And you often gets embarrassed when you are complimented? Moreover, you are self-conscious all the time. And ask the question why do compliments make me feel uncomfortable? Also, you may believe that you don’t deserve the compliments received. Often, words which are made to feel good, causes discomfort. Then again, your self-esteem could be low to handle the compliment.Moreover, you believe that you are not good enough. You are cruel to yourself. Hence, you should show some kindness to yourself. In contrast, most people are happy when they are complimented. One reason for your discomfort could be a lack of sincerity in another person’s comment. If you evaluate your behavior too many times you are bound to find something to criticize yourself. Also, you need to have the self-confidence to develop high self-esteem.
Embarrassed When Complimented?
Embarrassed when complimented? Why do compliments make me feel uncomfortable? Then again, there are several reasons for embarrassment. Moreover, caused by the situation, personality, mood and so on.
- Well, your behavior may depend upon the situation to situation. If you are happy with a compliment today but may not like it another day. For instance, if you are happy today then you could accept the comments. In contrast, if you are unhappy the next day then you will not accept the compliment from others. Moreover, it is an interplay of your moods and habits.
- Furthermore, self-concept issues can play an important role in embarrassment. Also, if you have a low self-concept then you will not believe in the compliments you get. For instance, if you do not consider yourself as pretty then you will not
- Your low self-esteem may make you negatively perceive a compliment.
- Also, you will feel embarrassed if you have low self-esteem. You can learn to feel good about yourself by practice. Also, your lack of trust by people can make you not like a compliment. For instance, your neighbor who is always jealous of you compliments you then you will not like it. Because you are not used to compliments from your neighbor.
- If you suffer from excess self-conscious behavior. Moreover, you will remain embarrassed a lot because you evaluate yourself all the time.
- If you get a compliment from an enemy then you may feel uncomfortable. Also, you may doubt the intentions of the other person.
How to Deal With Embarrassment?
Are you embarrassed when complimented? Why do compliments make me feel uncomfortable? You can learn to feel good about yourself and stay happy. Because when you are embarrassed all the time your happiness will suffer.
- First step that you should practice after your embarrassing experience is to stay calm. If you are uneasy then you may not be reason with yourself.
- Secondly, try to lighten up by joking about your experience. You should not take each compliment or embarrassment too seriously. Consequently, you will be under stress all the time. So, relax and do not worry.
- Thirdly, you should try to feel happy after the experience of embarrassment. Equally important is extreme worry over shame and embarrassment. Moreover, it can take over most of your useful time. Hence, avoid persistent worry. Also, it can harm your health. In contrast, calm people have healthy hearts and minds than those who
- Nextly, you should reason with yourself about why you feel the way you feel.
- Fifthly, you can talk to your loved one whom you can trust. Moreover, taking help will reduce your worry. Also, you will learn more about yourself from others. You can help people and take help when needed.
- Lastly , you can take the help of a therapist.
Moreover, you should write a journal about your experiences that you face daily.
Self Esteem and Self Image
People who get embarrassed when complimented have low self-esteem. Why do compliments make me feel uncomfortable?
- What do you think about yourself and your image? Are you satisfied with your looks or you are unhappy. and such things are part of self-esteem of a person. For example, if you love yourself then your self-esteem is high. And, it is good for you.
- Furthermore, your ways of displaying emotions and how you see yourself as emotional? Moreover, if you are emotionally stable person then you will believe in your abilities. And, you will feel self-confident.
- Moreover, another thing about your self-image is what you show from your appearance? If you are simple person and you show it by wearing simple cotton suits. In contrast, you are trendy and wear fashionable clothes.
- Additionally, how you appear to people? Do people see you as simple or complicated person?
- Equally important is self-esteem, that is how you see yourself. IF you have a positive self-image then
Always Self Conscious?
Your excessive self-consciousness can cause embarrassment. You will be embarrassed when complimented. Why do compliments make me feel uncomfortable?
- First of all, are you suffering from toxic shame? Do you over evaluate your behavior? Moreover, you stay unhappy with your actions. And, excessive self consciousness is harmful for your mental health. If you are unable to feel good about yourself then you stay unhappy.
- Secondly, if you have unhealthy self-conscious behavior then you will negatively judge yourself. It can cause low self-esteem in you. Moreover, you will lose your confidence.
- Thirdly, unhealthy self-conscious behavior could cause anxiety, aggression and agitation in you. You will remain irritated for no reason. Also, you will lose friends because of your rude behavior.
- Nextly, you are have built up guilt inside you. And, guilt and shame have made you depressed and embarrassed most of the time.
Furthermore, social anxiety can cause embarrassment. You can face certain symptoms, such as blushing, sweating, nausea, and so on. Also, you can experience intense worry. For instance, you are in your office but you cannot present your ideas to the management because of your social anxiety. Hence, you will lose many work opportunities. Your colleagues have climbed the ladder but you are struck in life.
How to Normalise Your Life?
- You can learn to relax when you feel embarrassed. Also, you can use relaxing methods.
- Secondly, there is a therapy that helps you face social situations gradually without getting stressed. For instance, you have a problem with starting a conversation. Then the therapist will help you relax and start a conversation.
- Nextly, you can increase your self-image with cognitive-behavioral therapy. Moreover, it will help you with changing thoughts from negative to positive.
And you can check out various courses available on the website. Also the course titled, ‘DBT for Social Anxiety’ will provide more information on the topic.