Empty Nest Syndrome and Marriage
Written by: Harmandeep Kaur Grewal – MA (Psychology)
Last updated date : March 07, 2023
Empty nest syndrome is when you are sad about children leaving home. And you feel alone and lonely. Moreover, you lose purpose. Your children could leave for work or study. But it can have a deep impact on your life. Also, it can affect your marriage. Furthermore, it is highly seen in women as compared to men. Because as a mother you will be more invested in your child. And when he or she leaves home then you become sad. Similarly, this sadness may appear when you realize it is time for your child to leave the home. Also, you and your spouse should try to preserve your relationship. Especially when you feel that there is a crack in it. Empty nest syndrome and marriage are related. And so are empty nest syndrome and divorce.
Additionally, when you are sad and depressed you start to neglect your spouse. You will not be able to attend to your husband even if you stay home. And, so you will argue and fight all the time. Furthermore, in a worst-case scenario, your daily arguments can lead to divorce. And you will feel even more alone and sad. Therefore, you need to get up from your seat and do something about it. You can always learn something new like a skill. And start a fresh career. All you need is confidence and hard work.
In this article, we will discuss empty nest syndrome in detail. Furthermore, the impact of empty nest syndrome on marriage. And later, we will discuss ways to deal with the syndrome.
Empty Nest Syndrome
Signs of Syndrome
- First of all, you are in grief. You are so sad that you cannot perform your daily task. And you ignore your husband. And could lead to an argument with him. Moreover, you feel lonely and depressed. You need help and support. Also, you can talk to a therapist about your mental state.
- Second of all, you are emotionally stressed. You cannot react when you are angry. And you have lost happiness. And you isolate yourself from the outside world. Therefore, you need social support. And get up if you sleep all day long. And meet people like you. Furthermore, you can join groups where similar people can meet. But for all this, you need to make effort. And believe that your child is doing fine. Moreover, you should take care of yourself.
- Third of all, you experience marital problems. And Empty nest syndrome and marriage are related. When you both fight and argue and do not understand each other. You know that you are sad but you cannot understand your husband. Maybe he is also sad and is unable to show his emotions to you. Moreover, your empty nest and divorce are possible.
- Fourth of all, you are anxious about your children. You fear whether they ate or are healthy. And you keep disturbing your son or daughter. And asking about their health. You need to keep calm and think about yourself.
- Next of all, you find it difficult to fill the void created when your child left. And you are unable to maintain a schedule for yourself.
Marriage and Divorce
- First of all, you are unable to give time to your spouse. And you are neglecting your marriage for a long time. And it could result in divorce. So you should care about your husband especially when he wants it. For instance, you are a mother whose son left to study. And you are with your husband. So, you find it difficult to be left alone with him. Moreover, you have nothing in common to discuss except your son. Your empty nest and divorce are possible.
- Second of all, you feel different than your spouse about your children leaving. You are sad while your husband is happy. Because he can focus on his work and got freedom from several duties. But you are in grief and angry at your spouse for being contended.
- Third of all, one thing that can affect your marriage is that you do not stop worrying. You are constantly calling your son. And disturbing him. Moreover, your make your husband worry too. He has tried to calm you down. But you do not listen.
Dealing With the Syndrome
- First of all, you should make friends. And increase your social circle. It will help you to deal with your grief. Moreover, you can talk to people about your worries. And listen to stories of people like this.
- Secondly, you can start planning for your future. You should spend time with your spouse. And learn to adapt to your situation.
- Third of all, if you have mental health issues then seek professional help. For instance, talk to your therapist. And you will be guided properly him. But do not worry. This stage may not last forever. You should be patient and calm.
- Next of all, develop a hobby which you can do together with your wife or husband. Empty nest syndrome and marriage are connected. For instance, you can both learn to dance. And perform at a family function surprising your children. And many more things can be done as per your interest.
- Fifth of all, you should take care of your health. If you have been ignoring yourself then this is the time when you can enhance your well-being. Moreover, you should perceive the positive side of the scenario. And not focus on the negatives.