I remember when I left home for college. I used to come home every weekend. Moreover, I used to take a 2-hour bus ride to reach home. So, I was homesick. If you are away from your home then it is natural you suffer from homesickness. Also, there are several homesickness symptoms. Furthermore, people who run from their homes during wars know the meaning of homesickness. Moreover, you will not be in a comfortable position when you are away from home. Also, there will not be anyone to help you when you need them. For instance, students when they go to hostels they feel scared initially and then later they can adapt.
Furthermore, refugees, migrants, students, workers, and so on all suffer from homesickness. When you feel stressed, anxious, and nostalgic during your stay away from your home then it will cause homesickness. When you are in an unfamiliar place, you miss your home. For instance, students are the ones who feel alone when they are away from their homes. One of the reasons for feeling bad is a change in your lifestyle. When you are away from home then you have to do all things by yourself. You will have to make your food, and buy groceries and there will not be parents to help you out.
- Sleeping pattern is disturbed. You feel it strange to sleep in a new place. So, your sleep gets disrupted for days or weeks. If you are unable to adapt to the new conditions then you will never able to have deep sleep. But you can try to adjust because you need to study and work away from home.
- You feel emotional. And there is anger, and anxiety in you. Therefore, you miss your home. And, you want to be in the company of your family and friends. But they are nowhere. Moreover, you have to adjust in a small period.
- Moreover, you feel lonely and withdrawn. So, you keep calling home. Many times students visit their homes on weekends. Moreover, parents may get anxious to meet their children so they travel to hostels and universities.
- Feelings of low self-esteem and self-worthlessness. When you are in the company of people you like then you get assurance that you are doing fine. But all alone you need to boost your confidence on your own.
- Lack of appetite and concentration. When you do not get home-cooked meals then you feel like not eating at all. And you keep thinking about your home losing focus on work or studies.
- Headaches, and body aches are common physical symptoms that can be seen in people who suffer from homesickness.
Meaning of Homesickness
First of all, if you are badly attached to your home or home town then you will face homesickness after you leave for study or work. Moreover, you can suffer from mental health issues like anxiety or depression. When your homesickness is in mild forms then you will miss your place and would learn to cope with it. But when your problem becomes extreme then you could need therapy or counseling.
Furthermore, homesickness is related to separation anxiety disorder. It shows that you are abnormally attached to people or surroundings and being away from them causes you distress. Also, several reasons may make you at risk such as your family, experiences, genes, attitude, and environment. If you are able to deal with your attachment issues then you grow out of it and reduces your symptoms. But if your symptoms worsens then you need professional help. Your symptoms of sadness and grief remains for a long time period.
Causes of Homesickness
- You are having difficulty in adapting to your new surroundings. Furthermore you are young with little experience. For instance you were ten years old when your parents put you in a boarding school. So, there you experienced sadness and grief for a long time period. Moreover, you develop fear. Such as fear of darkness during your stay at hostel.
- Secondly, you are feeling not belonging. More often when you feel there is cultural shift then you will suffer from homesickness. Also, you believe that you will not be able to stay at such a place for more time period. And you feel that people around you will not accept you.
- Additionally, you isolate yourself from others. Here you deliberately stay away. Because your heart is somewhere else.
Effects of Homesickness
- Your homesickness effect will depend upon the number of times it occurs. For instance, you experience symptoms of sadness every time you go away from home. So, it is serious problem for you. You need to learn to adjust.
- Also, you experience depression and sadness. You are overwhelmed with the grief-like feeling that stays for several days.
- Therefore you pack your bags every weekend and go home. Your productivity suffers. If you will not be able to focus on your new conditions then your results will not be good.
- Furthermore you stay in your room all day long and do not meet anyone.
- First of all, you should know that it is normal to feel lonely when you are away from home. So, you need to stress over it. Also, you tell yourself that your home is not going anywhere and you will visit your place when you get time.
- Secondly, make your new home pleasant for you. You can bring your pillow or things from your room back home here for better adjustment.
- You need to get involved in your work or study. If your focus gets into something other than home then your homesickness will go away.
- Moreover, you can keep in touch with your family through video calls, voice calls, messages, and texts. So, it will assure you that everything is fine.
- Similarly, you talk to your friends or classmates about your feelings or state of mind. Moreover, they will give you suggestions from their experiences. You can learn from them about it.
- Just be active in your college or work. So, your interest will be in other things rather than home or family.
For more information, please visit click “Courses” on the navigation bar and check out our courses on mental health and well-being. The course titled “DBT for Social Anxiety” provides more information on the current topic.