It can be hard to love our bodies in the present world we are living in. You might be okay with how you look. But, you are constantly reminded by others how your nose is not straight enough. Maybe, even if your hair is not thick enough. The chatter around the world about the perfect body can cause a lot of unrest and feelings of not being enough. I can assure you that, you are not the only woman/man who feels like this. In fact, most of us go through this sense of insecurity and lack of self-worth now and then. How to help someone who is insecure about their body? Do you want to know how you can help someone with body image issues?
Well, you are in the right place. Continue reading this article to learn how you can help your family member/ friend who is going through this.
Chapter 1:Watch Out for the Subtle Signs of Body Image Issues
It is important to watch out for these subtle signs. Some signs of poor body image can be easily seen. But, most of the time, these signs are very subtle and may even go unseen. How can you help someone who is insecure about their body? Let us look at some of the subtle signs below:
Self critical thoughts about one’s body
Sometimes, you may keep these critical thoughts about your body to yourself. You will notice how this self-criticism affects your self-confidence and well being. For example, let’s say that your friends are getting ice cream. You say that you don’t want to eat ice cream. But, in reality, you really wish you could. Deep down you think that you are too fat or do not deserve to have fun.
Comparing Your Body Shape and Weight
This is something that all of us do. It may be something that you do in your head or you may even say it out loud and open. But, sometimes it can go overboard and you are almost comparing yourself with others by default. For example, you watch it in a room. You immediately scan others’ bodies, trying to see if anyone’s body is bigger than yours or thinner than yours. In fact, this act of comparing can become so automatic that you were not even realising that you were doing it. This can turn into body image issues.
Feeling Jealous of Others Bodies
You can get jealous of anyone. If you be a celebrity, a complete stranger, a friend or even a family member. Sometimes, you may even dislike someone, because they are making you feel insecure about your body. Because her/his body meets closely to societal body standards. This may result in you feeling jealous of them.
Chapter 2:Signs of Body Image Issues
Now, you may wonder, what are some signs of body image issues? These are the following:
- They may show some sense of guilt or reistance to eat food
- May avoid social gathering with family or freinds. Anything social situation that involves eating together.
- They are obsesesively thinking about the number of calories that they are consuming.
- Using substances that reduces one’s weight. Substances such as cigarettes, diet pills or even excessive amounts of caffeine.
- They try to hide and eat or making sure that nobody is seeing them eat ” unhealthy” food.
- They go on to eat nothing for long periods of the day or eating a large amoutn of food at a time.
- May constantly keep weighing themselves now and then. Maybe even a couple of times in a day
- Wearing clothes that are baggy and hides their bodies
- Repeatedly, making very self depracatory statements about their bodies.