Even after many years, you can never get over the feeling of losing your mother. No matter what your age is, you still need your mother. You have so many memories with her and just by saying ‘mom’, all those memories come alive to you. Your mother was there for you in all phases of your life. She has seen you cry, laugh, get angry, lose and also be successful. So, there are certain occasions when you miss her. You also have the missing feeling the most on her birthday. Missing mom on her birthday is natural. Another such occasion is mother’s day. Also, You miss your mom on mother’s day when the entire world is celebrating this day. can Below are some things that you can do when you are missing mom on her birthday.
It Is Okay to Feel Sad
It is okay to grieve even after many years of losing your mom. There is no fixed end time to stop grieving. The pain and initial shock at the start might not be there but you can grieve for the longest time. It is completely okay to look back at remembering them. To look at memories and cherish them. We can go back and think of our fondest memories with our mom. This is completely okay to do and there is nothing wrong. These memories will also be fresh more on their birthday. You might feel like crying or just sitting in silence. Whatever you do to express your grief and love, it is okay. No matter how old you get you can grieve. The ways of grieving might be different but it is normal.
Missing Mom on Her Birthday? Here Are 5 Ways to Remember Her
- You can do some activities which both of you enjoyed doing together. For example, shopping, cooking their favorite meal, or even listening to a song that you both enjoyed. This helps you to remember her when missing mom on her birthday.
- Cooking your mom’s favorite or signature dish is also a good idea to remember them. She might have shared her recipe for a particular dish. You can make that for the entire family. This helps them also to cherish her fond memories while enjoying her signature dish.
- Your mom might have had some favorite spots that she enjoyed visiting. It could be a park, temple, coffee shop, or beach. Walking to these places refreshes your memory and makes you remember her fond memories of the place.
- If your mom was a foodie and she enjoyed eating a particular dish at her favorite restaurant then you can give that a try as well. This can also be like a treat to yourself with her most cherished dish. This also helps you to remember your mom.
- Your mom might have had jewelry or clothing she gave to you or a neckpiece or a saree that she enjoyed wearing. Wearing one of her earrings or bracelets is also a wonderful way to remember your mom.
Some More Ideas If You Are Missing Mom on Her Birthday
- Donate in her name. There are many NGOs or orphanages where you can donate food or in kind. This helps you to honor her and cherish her memory.
- Write a letter. You can write a letter to your mom expressing your feelings to her. You can also write how it makes you feel and even the things that you did in her memory.
- While missing mom on mother’s day, you can also participate in community groups that work with mothers by empowering them in supporting their needs.
- You can also plant a tree when you are missing mom on her birthdayor even mother’s day. There are many organizations that organize tree plantation drives in memory of our loved ones. This is a great feeling and also is an eco-friendly way of remembering your mom.
- Making a card. You can make a greeting card in her memory and keep it with you. This also makes you express your love to your mom and soothes you when you are missing mom on her birthday.
The Bottom Line
There are many courses available on our epsych website which help you navigate through your emotions. To learn more about how to manage yourself through this phase, you can enroll in a course on Chronic Pain on our website.