Restless Legs Relaxation Techniques
Restless legs syndrome is characterized by an uncontrollable want to move the legs. This is because people experience strange sensations in their legs. This makes them want to move their legs. The sensation stops when a person moves their legs. This article discusses restless legs relaxation tips and techniques. Read to know about home remedies for restless legs
To understand the solution, let us know more about restless legs syndrome.
What Is Restless Legs Syndrome?
This is a condition that can affect people’s sleep to a great extent. A person with this syndrome experiences a lot of irritation and unwanted sensations in their legs. This makes it impossible for them to sleep. Therefore they end up waking up at night. When they move around a little, they feel relieved. While the most common symptom is an urge to move the legs, here are some other symptoms of restless legs syndrome:
- Sensations: Usually these sensations begin when you are resting. Sensations can be like crawling, tickling, or vibration. These symptoms can occur when you are sleeping or simply relaxing.
- Worsening of symptoms at night time: When you are sleeping during the nighttime, these symptoms worsen.
- Relief when you move: When you move your legs or shake them off, these symptoms subside. They disappear when there is a movement in your legs.
These symptoms are also found during pregnancy. Women who have had symptoms of restless legs before pregnancy found that their symptoms got worse during pregnancy. The exact reasons are still unknown but it is due to hormonal changes, calcium requirements of the fetus, and low levels of vitamins and minerals in some women during pregnancy.
People with this condition describe the sensations as very unpleasant and compelling. They complain about having them on both legs. They find this constant urge to move their legs irritating.
There is a lack of clarity on the exact causes. This makes it difficult to determine exact cures too. However, some remedies can help to cure restless legs. Here are some restless legs relaxation techniques:
Increasing Iron Intake
Iron deficiency is one of the possible reasons for restless legs. Increasing the intake of natural sources of iron can be beneficial. You can consume dates, spinach, or other doof substance that contain folate and iron. One can take iron supplements that are available over the counter. Consult a medical practitioner before taking any supplements
Managing Vitamin Deficiency
A lack of important vitamins such as vitamin D can increase the symptoms of restless legs. Moreover, lack of calcium can also make you more tired at night time. After a certain age, the body requires extra calcium. One can take multivitamins. Increasing sources of calcium can also benefit a person. Calcium is in good quantity in dairy products, soy milk, and leafy vegetables. One can also include eggs and beans in the diet. Walking in the morning sun for a while can also help.
Adopting a good bedtime routine can help to ease symptoms of restless legs. Going to bed early and sleeping a little late can help to keep the body relaxed. Switch to a healthy bedtime routine such as taking a hot water shower before sleep. Tuning in an hour early. Limit screentime before sleeping. Additionally, you can use some meditation music or even meditate for a while before sleeping. People find aroma therapy before sleeping relaxing. You can also finish some chores in the morning before bedtime. This offers you more time to sleep in the morning. These habits will avoid any sleep problems in the future.
Maintain a Consistent Bedtime Routine
The body needs to maintain its rhythm. Most importantly sleep cycle. When the body goes to sleep at the same time daily, it gets time to recover. It has a predictable routine. The body functions very well when there is a routine. This helps to reduce fatigue and the body feels less tired daily. Do not engage in heavy workouts or a heavy meal before sleeping. This can lead to overstimulation. The body can get tired.
Stretching is one of the most beneficial restless legs relaxation techniques. Stretch your back and thigh muscles a little before you sleep. There are a lot of tension areas in our bodies. This is because of the daytime stress we have. This leads to a build-up of stress in the neck areas or joints. Do light and simple stretches such as calf raise or a back stretch. Do not over-stretch. Moreover, you can engage in power yoga as it is a great restless legs relaxation technique. You can close your eyes and visualize your muscle groups such as leg muscles, torso, upper body, and face muscles. Slowly you can imagine the tension leaving out of the body. Breathe in and out while you do this for extra soothing.
There are many other home remedies for restless legs relaxation, they are as follows:
Home Remedies for Restless Legs
- Restrict Caffeine: Eliminating or restricting caffeine from your diet has many benefits. It improves the sleep cycle. Caffeine helps you stay awake. This state of wakefulness worsens restless legs symptoms. Caffeine keeps you alert but if you have this disorder, it’s best to cut it down. Caffeine acts as a trigger for restless legs. Try to avoid caffeinated beverages, chocolates, or food items.
- Regular Exercise: Regular exercise is a very good remedy for restless legs. You can not only reduce the symptoms of restless legs but also remain fit. Go for a walk or a run. You can play some sport or go for a swim. Many activities can get your muscles moving. They help you keep remain fit mentally as well.
- Relaxation: Aromatherapy, yoga, or massage are some of the best home remedies for many conditions. You can include some bath oils or aromas in your bath regimes. Additionally, you can include candles in your relaxation time. For people experiencing restless legs, it is important to destress before sleep. A warm bath can help you release tension and stress from your muscles. It can also reduce aches and pains in the body. Essential oils like lavender or rose oils can provide a relaxing effect and also reduce pain.
- Deep Breathing: Sometimes, anxiety can make your mind restless. Therefore you may be having those unwanted sensations. It is important to let go of any fear before you sleep. Try deep breathing and mindfulness exercises to keep your mind relaxed. You can tune into soft music before you sleep to let go of unwanted fear.
- Massage: You can try massages to reduce any tension in your body. It is one of the effective home remedies for restless legs.
If the symptoms of restless legs persist, it is important to talk to your doctor. Restless legs can leave a person fatigued. This is due to a lack of sleep. They may end up taking daytime naps. If you or a loved one have been suffering from restless legs, you can check out courses on managing pain at Epsychonline. There are courses like Chronic pain. These courses help you manage pain and related symptoms. Many pregnant women regularly suffer from restless legs. There are articles on Epsychonline such as Restless legs syndrome during pregnancy. These courses and articles give you a better understanding of the condition better. There are many restless legs relaxation techniques that can help you. Do check them out.