What are things to do by yourself? Having things to do alone is possible. Spending time alone is therapeutic. It helps you in introspecting and reflecting on your emotions. It can also give you rest and rejuvenate you. Sometimes, we might feel bored or not find new activities to keep ourselves occupied. At these times, you can have certain things to do by yourself which can help you. If we have a list of activities handy then it becomes easy for us to pick any activity and do it. Most of the time we struggle or feel bored of doing the same routine tasks. Doing certain activities alone can also give you a sense of solitude and peace.
List of Things to Do Alone
- Pick up a Hobby. Most times we are so busy in our life that we forget to do our hobbies. During such times, you can pick up a hobby. For example, you can pick a paintbrush and start painting or learn music or play a musical instrument.
- Cooking. Many a times cooking can be therapeutic also. You can also do baking. The process of baking also makes you feel good. Since you can do it by yourself, it is said that it has similar effects and benefits as meditation. You can also cook or bake and send it to your loved ones. This can also make you feel good.
- Listening to Music. Studies suggest that listening to music or even singing can boost your mood. It can also help you to destress. You can tune into your favorite music or even enroll for concerts. This helps you to keep yourself occupied and also feel rested.
- Writing a Letter. In the age of mobiles, writing letters is rare. This act of writing a letter is also therapeutic. It not only makes you feel good but also helps the other person to feel loved. This can also enhance your creativity and express your feelings.
- Do a Home Spa. Many times we go from a spa to a salon. But you can also do a spa by yourself at home. You can make a face or hair mask with the simplest of kitchen items at home. For example, a face pack of gram flour, honey, and turmeric powder makes your skin glow. It also makes you feel refreshed.
Some More Ideas
- Enroll in an Online Class. There are many online classes available for different topics and interests. Based on your interest, you can enroll in a course online. This can be added to your daily routine as a thing to do by yourself. This helps you to be productive and also utilize your time well when alone.
- Maintain a journal. Every day is a new day and is filled with many memories. You can maintain a journal and write or stick pictures to save these memories for the years to come. This helps you to express your emotions and putting things on paper helps you feel better.
- Sewing. This is a life skill that most do not know of. This is easy to do if you have learned the technique and can be one of the things to do by yourself. You can stitch goodies for your friends or loved ones for their special occasions. This increases your creativity and also keeps you occupied.
- Solving a Puzzle. Many board games can challenge your mind. There are many crosswords, riddles, and jigsaw puzzles that you can solve. This helps to build concentration and also keeps the brain active. For example, scrabble, chess, and sudoku.
- Drawing. In our childhood, we had many coloring books. Coloring and shading improve your mood. You can pick a coloring book and start coloring. This also activates your inner artist and makes you feel happy.
Things to Do by Yourself
- Gardening. Spending time in nature is the best thing to do by yourself. You can plant a flowering plant or even just sit in a garden. Gardening can soothe your mind and also help you to breathe fresh air. When you do gardening, you also feel joy and happiness. Being in touch with nature gives you mental space to think also.
- Learning to Meditate. This is one of the things to do alone. There are many types of meditation. You can practice training the mind. This helps you be stress-free and also feel grounded. You can also take the help of certain apps or videos which can help you do guided meditation.
- Learning a Musical Instrument. Playing or learning to play a musical instrument is exciting. It is one of the things to do alone and can prove to make you feel happy also. After learning, you can also practice playing the instrument by yourself. You feel happy when you hit the right chord.
- Self-Care. You can do certain activities which help you to practice self-care. Self-care involves things to do alone and by yourself. For example, grooming your hair, painting your nails, etc. You can add certain activities which you can do by yourself daily. Such as going for a walk, exercising, or reading a book. This helps you to relax and spend quality time with yourself.
To know more about the benefits of spending time alone, enroll in a course online on our epsych website to understand more about how to cope with bullying.