Vyvanse for Binge Eating – Everything You Should Know!December 21, 2021 2022-01-20 7:23
Vyvanse for Binge Eating – Everything You Should Know!
Vyvanse for Binge Eating - Everything You Should Know!
Last updated date : January 11, 2022
If you or someone you know has a binge eating disorder (BED), then you must have heard of using Vyvanse for binge eating. You must be curious what Vyvanse is? How does Vyvanse work for binge eating? Are there any side effects? Should you use it?
We will discuss each of these points one by one. First, let’s understand the role of medicine in the treatment of a disorder. So, how exactly does a medicine help in making you feel better?
Chapter 1:Role of Drugs
Drugs are used to treat physical diseases. Similarly, drugs are also used to treat psychological disorders. In other words, you take drugs to treat the signs that you show when you are not well. For example, if you have depression, you feel low and unhappy. You do not feel hungry, you sleep too much, and your mood is not so good. Hence you take medicines. They make you feel better, uplift your mood, and make you feel active.
Hence, drugs help to reduce the symptoms. They make you feel better. The symptoms that are bothering you or causing you harm are reduced. Thus, drugs help in overcoming your disease or disorder.
Chapter 2:Should I Use Drugs for Binge Eating?
Naturally, this question might have crossed your mind. You must have certainly heard about using Vyvanse for binge eating disorders. However, to answer this question you need to first assess yourself. To do so – go through the checklist below and see if you find yourself ticking off all or most of the points.
- I tend to binge eat almost daily
- I tend to binge eat way too much even when I am not hungry
- My emotions give me mental stress
- I can’t sleep
- My thoughts are very bad. My mind is filled with negative thoughts
- I feel worthless
- I feel too guilty after binge eating
- My sense of control is zero
- I think I might harm myself
If you agree with most of the above points, then you should visit a doctor or mental health professional as soon as possible. You might be experiencing severe symptoms and might need to get help immediately.
Chapter 3:Using Vyvanse for Binge Eating
In order to understand whether you should use Vyvanse for binge eating or if your doctor has already prescribed you Vyvanse, let’s see what this drug is.
Know more about Vyvanse
Vyvanse is a central nervous system stimulant. To clarify, this drug makes the central nervous system (CNS) active or it increases the work the CNS does. The CNS consist of the brain and spinal cord. Vyvanse stimulates the brain and spinal cord. As a result of this action, you feel increased alertness, reduced sleep, reduced appetite. It makes you feel more confident and energetic, and also, makes you focus better.
Vyvanse is an amphetamine. Hence, it causes speeding up of the brain. It increases the levels of two chemicals in the brain – norepinephrine, and dopamine. Norepinephrine works as a stimulant. As mentioned in the above paragraph, they work to increase the awareness level and concentration. Dopamine creates a feeling of pleasure and reward. In conclusion, these two chemicals control impulsivity, improve alertness and activity. Additionally, they make you feel “good” and betters your mood.
How does Vyvanse work for binge eating?
So, when you binge eat, Vyvanse makes you binge less by reducing your appetite. It helps you to focus on other things better. It elevates your mood so you feel stressed and depressed. When you are less stressed or you can manage your emotions in a better way, you will naturally binge eat less.
Vyvanse for binge eating has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for adults above age 18. This drug is also used for the treatment of Attention Deficiency Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) for children above age 6. However, this medicine cannot be used to reduce weight.
Precautions while taking Vyvanse
There are some guidelines to follow if you are taking Vyvanse.
- First – take Vyvanse only if prescribed by the doctor. You need to visit a doctor who will do a complete examination and only then prescribe you Vyvanse.
- When you consult the doctor, tell your medical and family history honestly. Some drugs mix with Vyvanse and can cause harmful side effects. Additionally, if you have taken drugs in the past or have been addicted to drugs, do not hide this from the doctor.
- Also, mention honestly if you have a drinking problem.
- Follow the doctor’s orders carefully.
- Generally, Vyvanse is taken in the morning. If you take the pill in the afternoon or night, it may cause sleep issues. So decide on a fixed time when you will take your medication daily.
- Do not make any changes in the dosage, i.e., do not divide the pill into smaller pieces, without consulting your doctor.
- If you feel uneasy or get any side effects, immediately get help.
- Do not stop using the drug on your own.
Some other things to keep in mind
There are some general tips that you should follow while using this drug. Remember these points if you are using Vyvanse for binge eating.
- This drug can cause dizziness or can make your feel wobbly. So watch out after you take the medicine. If you feel dizzy, get help as quickly as you can.
- Do not drive while or immediately after taking the drug.
- Also, avoid work where you have to focus a lot. Do not do anything which requires your complete attention.
- Avoid using machines, instruments, or tools that can cause accidents. Be safe!
- Do not drink too much alcohol while using Vyvanse.
- Do not use drugs or medication without consulting the doctor.
- Store the drug in a clean and dry place.
- Do not use this drug during pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
Chapter 4:Side Effects of Using Vyvanse
Now that we have talked about what is Vyvanse and its uses. Additionally, you might have gotten some idea about how does Vyvanse work for binge eating. Let’s look at some side effects of using Vyvanse for binge eating.
- Heart problems – Vyvanse can cause increased heart rate and blood pressure. If not treated quickly, it could result in death.
- Blood circulation problems – It can cause blood circulation problems in your fingers and toes. You might feel coldness or numbness in your hands or feet. The colour of your fingers and toes might change.
- Digestive issues – You might face several issues related to stomach and digestion. For example, diarrhea, constipation, poor appetite, dry mouth, stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting.
- Psychological issues – You might experience some mood or behaviour changes. You might feel angry and become aggressive suddenly. You might even experience hallucinations which means you might see things or hear voices that are not real. It is likely that you might have suicidal thoughts. Depression and mood swings can also be common.
- Sleep problems – You might have sleep troubles such as difficulty falling asleep or waking up during the night. You might not sleep at all sometimes.
- Restlessness – You might feel more nervous about routine things. You might start feeling anxious and fearful about things you did not before.
- Sexual problems – These include decreased interest in sex, difficulty in engaging in sexual activities, difficulty getting or prolonging erection in males.
- Tiredness – You might also undergo fast weight loss. You might feel tired all the time for no actual reason.
In addition to the above-mentioned side effects, there is a chance of getting addicted to this drug. Becoming dependent on the drug can be very harmful.
In conclusion, you should use medicine or drug for treating any psychological disorder only after giving it a deep thought. Start by getting complete information about the medicine. Consulting a doctor is very important. Do not take any medication without it. Using Vyvanse for binge eating has its own plus points. However, do not take this decision without thinking. Get full information about how does Vyvanse work for binge eating.
Also, when you consult a doctor, make sure you share complete medical and family history honestly. Follow strict guidelines and tips mentioned above while using the drug. Watch out for side effects. And if you experience any side effects, do not hesitate to go back to the doctor. Be very careful! Take full care of what you are doing!